初入職場時，總是害怕和客戶直接對話，每次拿起電話或是主持concall meeting 都很緊張。
Here are some common phrases to help you speak politely on the telephone in English.
1. Answering the phone
- Good morning/afternoon/evening, xxx Enterprises, Grace speaking.
2. Asking for the caller』s name
- Who』s calling, please?
- Could I take your name, please?
3. Introducing yourself
- This is Paul Smith speaking.
- Hello, this is Paul Smith from Smith Brothers Ltd.
4. Asking for someone
- Could I speak to John Martin, please?
- I』d like to speak to John Martin, please.
- Could you put me through to John Martin, please?
- Could I speak to someone who …
5. Explaining absence
- I』m afraid Mr Martin isn』t in at the moment.
- I』m sorry, he』s in a meeting at the moment.
- I』m afraid he』s on another line at the moment.
6. Putting someone on hold
- Just a moment, please.
- Could you hold the line, please?
- Hold the line, please.
- I』m sorry, I don』t understand. Could you repeat that, please?
- I』m sorry, I can』t hear you very well. Could you speak up a little, please?
- I』m afraid you』ve got the wrong number.
- I』ve tried to get through several times but it』s always engaged.
- Could you spell that, please?
8. Putting someone through (connecting someone)
- One moment, please. I』ll see if Mr Jones is available.
- I』ll put you through.
- I』ll connect you.
- I』m connecting you now.
9. Taking a message
- Can I take a message?
- Would you like to leave a message?
- Can I give him/her a message?
- I』ll tell Mr Jones that you called.
- I』ll ask him/her to call you as soon as possible.